Call for Artists Information Night: Thursday, April 20th- click for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
Click here to download application.
What is a cooperative gallery?
Who are the MAC Gallery Artists?
The MAC Gallery Artists are a juried collective of visual artists who operate under the umbrella of The Media Arts Council (MAC). The Gallery Artists benefit MAC, its members, and the community.
Where are the Gallery Artists located?
The Media Arts Center & Gallery (609-B West State St., Media)
What exhibitions do Gallery Artists have?
- Annual 2-3 person show (schedule determined by Gallery Artists based on compatibility of works to create a cohesive show)
- Continual representation in small gallery – work changes monthly
- Possible “holiday” show
How many members will there be?
The group ideally consists of 27 members.
What will it cost?
The membership dues are $240.00 annually, due in full at commencement of membership year.
What are the benefits?
- Gallery representation
- Participation in a 2-3-person show once every 12 months
- Continuous showing in small gallery
- Highlighted presence on gallery website
- Works on paper in the artists’ cradles; up to four pieces of work (on stiff board & protected)
- Option to conduct MAC-approved workshops and receive 60% of tuition collected
What are the responsibilities?
- Pay annual gallery dues
- Participate in monthly Gallery Artists group meetings
- Participate in at least one Gallery committee
- Keep images current for the website
- Provide display equipment for work (e.g. proper hanging equipment)
Please note we estimate that the time commitment is eight hours per month for both gallery sitting and committee work
What is the organizational structure of the Gallery Artists group?
Currently all the artists meet together monthly and discuss everything. The group, as it grows, will be working toward a committee structure. The committees address appropriate issues and bring proposals to the whole group meeting where the proposals are either approved or sent back to committee. The chair of the whole group meeting is a rotating position of 4 months.
What are the (future) gallery committees and how often do they meet?
- Membership Committee – monthly
- Exhibition Committee – annually
- Hospitality and Gallery Committee – monthly
- Show Committee – monthly
- Publicity/Marketing Committee – monthly
What is the relationship between the Gallery Artists and MAC?
The Media Arts Council oversees the Gallery Artists, providing both personnel and financial support. MAC’s Artist Committee sends a liaison to the Gallery Artists’ monthly meeting and vice versa. The MAC Board approves proposals made by the Gallery Artists before action is taken.
How do I join?
Admission is based on a juried review. Submissions must include:
- A portfolio CD of at least ten images
- Two actual pieces
- A resume and artist statement
- (Possible) Interview
- Application form
Will MAC take a commission?
The Media Arts Council will take a 25% commission on the sale of all artwork.
What if a member wishes to resign?
If a member wishes to resign from the Gallery Artists he/she must give two months’ notice.
Grounds for dismissal from the Gallery Artists:
A Co-op member may be dismissed for:
- Lack of participation in committee duties
- Failure to keep up with membership dues
- Inability to work within the group for the Co-op’s goals of creating opportunities for members to exhibit and sell their work
Dues refund policy:
In the event of resignation or dismissal, no refund of any portion of dues will be made.
Is artwork insured by MAC?
Artists are responsible for insuring their artwork and must sign the Hold Harmless Agreement before installing their work in the gallery. The Media Arts Council will not be responsible for loss or damage of artwork, nor will it carry insurance for individual artists’ works.
Questions or concerns please contact MAC’s executive director at email@example.com