GET THE PICTURE! Red Cross Volunteer Photographers Needed
Focus on mission.
They say a picture tells a thousand words. When it comes to sharing the story of the Red Cross, well, this is where YOU come in.
The purpose of this volunteer role – as Photographer within our Southeast Pennsylvania (SEPA) Region Communications Department – is to assist the Red Cross in delivering its mission by taking and sharing photos that showcase the Red Cross, including our amazing volunteers, at work. PLEASE NOTE: This volunteer position is available in Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware Counties, Pennsylvania.
Cooperating with your Volunteer Manager, specific responsibilities include:
- Taking photos at events, trainings, disaster responses, etc. while highlighting VIPs and/or people/activities of interest.
- Capturing portraits, candids, and/or studio shots to tell the Red Cross story of service delivery.
- Culling, editing, captioning, and uploading your photos to online shared accounts.
- Sharing select photos in timely matter (usually same day or within 24 hours) with Chapter/Regional Communications Department leadership.
- Treating all clients, volunteers, partners, etc. with dignity and respect; always obtaining required photo releases.
- Organizing and delivering documentation, captions, quotes, photo releases, etc.
- During times of disasters, may require occasional travel while taking photos of disaster scenes, victims of disaster, responding Red Cross staff and volunteers, etc. Also working with Communications identifying priorities to share visual story.
- Other duties as discussed.
- Availability to participate minimum three events throughout year using own equipment, including flexibility to attend to disaster responses.
- Prior experience in photography/digital media.
- Ability to meet deadlines, especially during potentially stressful or uncomfortable situations.
- Working knowledge of Flickr.
- Excellent organizational and professional interpersonal communication skills with high attention to detail.
- Self motivation.
- Access to a vehicle and valid driver’s license (public transportation may be an option, when available.)
- Commitment to the mission of the Red Cross, including values, fundamental principles, etc.
- Successful completion of Red Cross volunteer application and assigned training.
To learn more about this vital volunteer role – and many of the volunteer opportunities available with the Red Cross – please email Maureen.Zug@redcross.org. All our volunteers are heroes. We look forward to welcoming you to the team.